Wednesday, September 27 9:00am
We have seen ocean overwash and soundside flooding from Hurricane Maria on Hatteras Island, but NCDOT reports that while there is sand and water on the roads, no roads are closed at this time.
Storm conditions are expected to continue today and we expect more overwash and flooding as the storm passes and winds shift. Our offices remain closed for the safety of our staff.
Dare County’s mandatory evacuation order for visitors is still in place and we do not yet know when that will be released. We will post updates as they become available.
Continue to monitor the resources provided below:
For the latest on Dare County’s evacuation order and information on re-entry:
- Visit the Dare County Emergency Management website: https://www.darenc.com/departments/emergency-management
- Sign up for email alerts at: www.DareNC.com/EmergencyAlerts
- Follow @DareCountyEM on Twitter
For travel conditions on NC 12 and Ferry Status:
- Check for updates on the NCDOT NC 12 Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/NCDOTNC12/
- Follow @NCDOT_NC12 on Twitter
- Visit the NC Ferries Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/NCFerries
For weather updates about the storm:
- Visit the National Weather Service Newport/Morehead city webpage: www.weather.gov/mhx/
- Visit the National Hurricane Center webpage: www.nhc.noaa.gov
- Follow updates on the National Hurricane Center Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/NWSNHC
Hurricane and storm procedures for our guests:
For questions about travel insurance:
- US Residents: Contact Travel Guard 1-877-249-5376
- Canadian Residents: Contact Global Holiday Protection at 1-866-914-5333