Memorial Day Weekend is the unofficial kickoff to summer on Hatteras Island! It’s a hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill, toes in the sand kind of weekend filled with family, friends and fun. More importantly, it is a time to remember those who have given the ultimate sacrifice in defense and honor of our freedom. As you hit the beach for Memorial Day weekend, we hope you have a wonderful vacation and join us in taking a moment to pause and reflect on the true meaning of Memorial Day.
To keep the kids of all ages entertained this weekend, here’s a guide to help you plan your visit and enjoy all of the unique events and attractions the island has to offer!
Events & Entertainment
• May 27 -30 Endless Summer Weekend at REAL Watersports
These family friendly events include: Delicious food and beverages available at MOJOs Sunset Café, Daily Surf Sessions , FREE Robert August Surfboard and SUP Demos .
LIVE Music on the soundfront back deck:
Thursday, May 26th 6-10pm : Mojo Collins
Saturday, May 28th 6-10pm : The Wilder Brothers.
Sunday, May 29th, 7-9pm Endless Summer Movie: Watch the original Endless Summer Movie with Robert August as he narrates the behind the scenes events, comedy and session stories. This is a truly amazing night! For more info, visit http://www.realwatersports.com/news/endless-summer-weekend/
• May 28 -30 Hatteras Island Kite Expo at The Kitty Hawk Kites Kiteboarding Resort, Rodanthe village. Bring the whole family and check out the first ever East Coast KiteExpo! This is the largest Kite/SUP Demo Event East of the Mississippi! In the inaugural edition of this to-be annual event, dozens of Kiteboarding & SUP companies will come out to show off their products and gear at one of America’s top Kiting Destinations! Kiteboarding clinics, product presentations, photo shoots, nightly entertainment, great food & great kiting, along with the proximity to so many East Coast Kiters & SUPers should make this THE Memorial Day Weekend Event to attend for years to come. For more info, visit www.thekiteexpo.com
• May 28 Live Music at Sandbar & Grille
Hwy 12, Buxton Soundfront. For the adults in the group, Sandbar & Grille is featuring a reggae band “Donovan and The Posse” From 10pm to 2am. For more info, visit http://www.sandbarandgrille.com/ordereze/Default.aspx
• Nothing beats a great round of miniature golf, and there are plenty of locations to show off your skills!
1. Avon Golf: Hwy 12 at the Avon Pier (252) 995-5480
2. Uncle Eddy’s Frozen Custard and 18-Hole Mini Golf: Hwy 12, Buxton (252) 995-4059
3. Frisco Mini Golf and Go Karts: Hwy 12, Frisco (252) 995-6325
• Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum – One of the most innovative maritime facilities in the nation. FREE admission to the public! (252) 986-2995
• Chicamacomico Life Saving Station: – One of the oldest life saving stations in the U.S., celebrating their centennial this year!
• Cape Hatteras Lighthouse – The tallest lighthouse in America!
Hatteras Island is a great place to shop and discover truly unique treasures! Sport your red, white and blue in style by checking out these area shops. Many are having Memorial Day Weekend Sales!
• NEW to the island!! Beach Diva – Beautiful Clothing for the beach goddess in all of us! Stowe on 12 Shoppes in Hatteras Village
• FOX Watersports – Mens and Womens clothing and a huge selection of flip flops! Now with TWO Locations: Hwy 12, Buxton and Stowe on 12 Shoppes in Hatteras Village
• REAL Watersports Flagship store – Biggest selection of mens and womens clothing and accessories on the island!- at Real Watersports, Waves Village
• Frisco Rod & Gun – Hwy 12, Frisco – huge selection of mens, womens and kids clothing featuring Salt Life, Guy Harvey, Pelagic and more – everything you need for a day at the beach or on the boat!
• Bella Boutique – full line of women’s clothing, shoes and accessories – hwy 12, avon, next to Nino’s Pizza
There are also plenty of things to do if you arrive early on check in day. Get a head start on experiencing Hatteras Island and start having fun!
• Beat the heat and grab some ice cream at a nearby shop!
1. Cool Wave -Buxton Back Rd, Buxton
2. Village Conery Ice Cream & Yogurt -Hwy 12, Salvo MP 42
3. Hatteras Sno-Balls -the only snow cone stand on the island! Hwy 12, Frisco
• Check out and browse through some surf/skate/SUP/beach gear. These two locations carry a wide variety and selection of everything you will need for the beach!
1. Kitty Hawk Kites – Offering gear, rentals and tours! Waves, MP 40, 24502 Hwy 12, Rodanthe, NC 27968; (252) 987-2528
2. REAL Kitboarding – REAL Flagship Store in the Village of Waves – Everything you need to kiteboard, surf, standup paddleboard or just enjoy the beach! Waves, 25706 Highway 12, Waves, NC 27982; (252) 987-6000
• Too tired and hungry to explore? Enjoy the AC and atmosphere at one of these great nearby restaurants!
1. Mojo’s Sunset Café – Located on the back of the REAL Flagship Store in Waves, about half a mile from the Salvo office. Sit outside on the deck and enjoy the beautiful views right on the sound! Family friendly atmosphere with grab and go meals. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. http://www.realwatersports.com/mojos/
2. Café 12, located near the Avon office – locally owned and family operated restaurant open for lunch and dinner. Try one of their famous Hatteras Flats! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cafe-12/87506210255
3. Atlantic Coast Café – two convenient locations! One in Avon, across from the Avon office, and one in Waves, just down the street from the Salvo office. Offering everything from wraps, burgers, salads, seafood and BBQ! Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. http://www.atlanticcoastcafe.com/
5. Ninos Pizza, located just down the street from the Avon office – A slice of Sicily on the beach! (252) 995-5358
• Of course – the salt air, sand and ocean may be too tempting, so if you can’t wait to hit the ground running, make sure you pack your bathing suits, towels, and cooler last. That way they are easy to find and grab once you arrive!
Like most Memorial Day Weekends, traffic is heavier than usual. If you are driving from the north, are you aware of the alternate route to arrive on Hatteras Island? Highway 158 can become pretty congested, leaving you at a stand-still, and the alternate route lets you bypass hwy 158 completely.
Need directions? We’ve got that covered!
Alternate Route 1 From the North
(Red Route on map) From I-64 in Chesapeake, take exit 291B for US-17 South, VA 168 South. Take exit 15B for US-17 South, keep right on US-17 South. Follow US-17 South into North Carolina. Take US-17 South by-pass around Elizabeth City. Continue on US-17 South to NC-37 South. Turn left on NC-37 South. NC-37 South becomes NC-32 South. Follow NC-32 South. Make left onto 94 South. Make right onto Benson Road. Turn left on US-64 East. Keep going east to Roanoke Island and The Outer Banks. (Make note – the Virginia Dare Memorial Bridge bypasses the towns of Manns Harbor and Manteo.) Once across the Causeway, Turn right onto NC-12 South onto Hatteras Island.
Alternate Route 2 From the North
Follow I-95 South to North Carolina and take Exit 138 for US-64 East toward Rocky Mount. Follow US-64 East through Williamston and Plymouth, NC. From Plymouth, NC keep going East to Roanoke Island and The Outer Banks. (Make note – the Virginia Dare Memorial Bridge bypasses the towns of Manns Harbor and Manteo.) Once across the Causeway, Turn right onto NC-12 South onto Hatteras Island.
If you are taking the Chesapeake Expressway, the toll fee has increased:
Toll is now $3 on weekdays and $6 on weekends.
To bypass the toll:
From the North: Take VA-168 South to Exit 8B. Take the clover to Hillcrest Parkway and turn right onto Battlefield Blvd. Turn right onto VA-168 South.
From the South: Take VA-168 North to Battlefield Blvd. stop light. Turn left onto Battlefield Blvd. Turn left onto Hillcrest Parkway and take Ramp on right to VA-168 North.
Don’t forget – when you arrive on Hatteras Island and get out of the car, take a deep breath and inhale the fresh ocean air. Aaaahhhhh…you’ve arrived!
From everyone at Surf or Sound Realty, we are wishing you a very safe and happy Memorial Day!Picture of the Week