October is the perfect month to enjoy a plethora of events and activities on the OBX! Check out our list and be sure to mark your calendars! It’s going to be a busy month!
20th Annual Outer Banks Parade of Homes
• Featuring 21 coastal homes from Corolla to the Nags Head/Manteo causeway. Tickets are $10 for the 4-day tour. Visit their website for details.
1st Annual Bluegrass Festival, One Festival Park Manteo.
• Check out the website for a full schedule of events.
9th Annual Hatteras Island Cancer Foundation Fun Run, Avon, 10am.
• Walk or run the 5k adorned in pink to support Breast Cancer Awareness Month! Click here to register.
Indian Town Arts & Crafts Show, Frisco, 10am-5pm.
Island Farm Pumpkin Patch, Manteo.
• Open every Saturday in October from 10am-4pm…Ox-drawn hayrides are available as well, from 10:30-12:30 or 1:30-3:30.
6th Annual Duck Jazz Festival, Duck Town Green, 11am.
• Visit www.townofduck.com for details.
4th Annual Bike the Light
• Meet at Cape Hatteras Secondary School in Buxton for a full-filled, scenic ride to and from the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse! Help the Kiwanis Club raise money for children’s charities and programs on Hatteras Island.
October 13th & 27th
Red Wolf Howlings, Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge, 6pm.
• Check out their website for details.
Outer Banks Seafood Festival, Windmill Point site, Nags Head, 11am-6pm.
• Fun for the entire family! 20 local restaurants will be serving their signature dishes featuring locally caught fish and seafood. Enjoy a day of live music, local artisans, educational exhibits, cooking demos, and a chance to indulge in tasty OBX cuisine! Check this event out on the web…
Capital City Four Wheelers 27th Annual Surf Fishing Tournament
• Visit their website for tournament registration and details.
October 24th & 25th
Trick or Treat Under the Sea, Roanoke Island Aquarium, Manteo, 6-8:30pm.
• Tickets are $8/person or $6 for members. Advance ticket purchase is highly recommended. Tickets go on sale on October 1. Call 252-473-3494 to purchase tickets.
1st Annual OBX Horror Film Festival & Zombie Beach Walk
• Visit their Facebook page for details on how to participate!October 27th
NC Annual Big Sweep, 9am-noon.
• Interested in keeping our watersheds litter-free? Click here to find out how you can help!
October 27th and 28th
Blackbeard’s Pirate Jamboree
• Free, 2-day pirate fest on Hatteras and Ocracoke Islands! Visit www.piratejamboree.com for a schedule of events.
Children are invited to wear costumes for the parade which starts at 2 p.m. at the North Beach Campground in Rodanthe and passes along Highway 12 to the villages’ Community Center for the party. The party features a costume fashion show, games and lots of fun. Continue reading
The 17th Annual Outer Banks Parade of Homes kicked off on October 8th, and Surf or Sound Realty is delighted to announce that two of our premier rental homes are represented in this year’s tour: #683 Rising Sun and #684 Moonshine.
The Parade of Homes showcases the finest properties on the Outer Banks, and the Outer Banks Home Builders Association (OBHBA) is anticipating approximately 1,500 attendees. The event lasts until Sunday, October 11th, and all 29 homes participating, from Currituck to southern Hatteras Island, are open from 10am – 6pm on all four days. Continue reading
Page Skelton, creator of the original Cackalacky condiment brand and the Booze Bait fishing lure company, will be donating his unique products to the Music Maker Relief Foundation’s upcoming fishing tournament and fundraiser.
The fishing tournament and benefit, called the Wahoo Hoo-Ha!, will take place in Hatteras, NC on October 16th and 17th. The weekend event will culminate in an awards dinner on Saturday evening followed by a concert featuring Cool John Ferguson, Big Ron Hunter & Captain Luke at the Hatteras Community Center. Continue reading
Hatteras Island photographer Daniel Pullen will open a joint art show with Stephanie Kiker on Oct. 3 at Roanoke Island Festival Park in the Art Gallery. Pullen’s photography is featured in Surf or Sound Realty’s website and vacation home catalog, and he works with Surf or Sound rental guests on family portraits and special event photo sessions. Continue reading
Climbers are asked to bring their own flashlights to navigate the lighthouse’s 257 steps. At the top, they will stand on the balcony to witness the beam of the light shining out onto the ocean. Continue reading
Superintendent Mike Murray invites visitors and locals alike to a special program on the grounds of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse on Friday, October 2 from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon to recognize the 10th anniversary of the move of this extraordinary beacon. Continue reading
The Cape Hatteras Lighthouse will open to the public for climbing from April 17 through Columbus Day, October 12, 2009. Climbing fees for the Lighthouse will be $7 per adult, and $3.50 for children under 12 and senior citizens.
The opening day of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse will continue to be a fee-free day, as it has in the past, for local community members to climb the Lighthouse. Continue reading