Hatteras Island is a wonderful place to make memories while on vacation. It’s an even better place to spend your Mother’s Day! There are plenty of sights to see and activities to take part in. If you’re going to be on Hatteras Island on Mother’s Day, we’ve come up with some fun ideas for mom that are sure to create lasting and cherished memories!
1. Paint your Own Pottery at Pottery in Avon http://www.studio12hatteras.com/ (252) 995-7899. A great way to spend time with mom while creating a keepsake!
2. We’re sure mom could use some relaxation and tranquility and nothing beats the spa and a massage at “In Touch Massage” in Frisco, next to Indian Town Gallery www.intouchmassageandwellness.com, (252) 995-4067. Massage on-site at the wellness center or ask about the mobile services that bring the massage directly to you at your vacation home!
3. A unique and treasuring activity on Hatteras Island is searching for sea glass! What’s even better is sea glass jewelry, which you and mom can make together! Take her to the Sea Glass wrapping jewelry class at “Indian Town Gallery” in Frisco. Call for appointment! http://www.indiantowngallery.com/ (252)995-5181.
4. Not into sea glass, but still want to make jewelry with mom? That’s covered, too! Make your own Jewelry at “The Glass Bead” – with two locations: Avon (252) 995-7020 and Rodanthe (252) 987-2005 -thousands of beads and all the jewelry-making supplies you’ll need to create your own jewelry.
1. “Buxton Village Books” in Buxton – books, cards and gifts http://www.buxtonvillagebooks.com/ (252) 995-4240.
2. “Island Spice and Wine” in Avon – gourmet wine, food and gifts! Specialty gift baskets available! (252) 995-7750.
3. “The Elegant Attic” in Buxton – (252) 995-4468 -Antiques shop featuring a spectacular selection of antique stained-glass windows and doors imported from England.
There are also plenty of simple and inexpensive things to do with mom on Hatteras Island as well!
1. Go for a stroll on the beach.
2. Take mom out for ice cream. Village Conery is a great place to get ice cream!
3. Climb the lighthouse together.
4. Hunt for seashells then paint them together using watercolor paints or make a simple seashell wind-chime together or save them in a decorative bowl that you find together at local shops like Lee Robinson.
5. Go for a bicycle ride through old Kinnakeet.
Another idea is a family photo! Two great photographers on Hatteras Island are:
Bryan Elkus – http://www.bryanelkus.com/
Daniel Pullen – http://www.danielpullenphotography.com/
If mom can’t be with you on vacation, bring the beach to her! Find a pretty jar from one of the local shops and fill it with sand and sea shells you find on the beach!